Soft Matter CryoTEM Workshop
Eindhoven University of Technology, 6-10 March 2017
Flyer: Soft Matter CryoTEM Workshop (Pdf file)
4TU.HTM offers 4TU participants a grant!
For more information: see below
Advancements in cryo-transmission electron microscopy (cryoTEM) have made it possible to image objects from biological origin, such as viruses and proteins, now also reaching near atomic resolution. In recent years cryoTEM is also increasingly used to investigate soft matter of synthetic origin: assemblies of organic (macro)molecules and/or inorganic nanoparticles.
Since almost a decade, Eindhoven University of Technology and FEI company have worked together at the forefront of this new field trying to advance cryoTEM in materials science, both through developing dedicated microscopes but also through developing advanced tools and methods for sample preparation and imaging. This has allowed us to investigate a variety of soft and hybrid materials in their native hydrated state with nanometer resolution both in two and three dimensions. Using cryoTEM and cryo-electron tomography (3D cryoTEM) we have revealed the structure and morphology of assemblies of surfactants, lipids and (bio)polymers in solution, as well as at interfaces. But cryoTEM also allows us to study the interactions between organic and inorganic components, e.g. in the mineralization of collagen, generating artificial bone-like materials.
With this workshop we want to demonstrate the possibilities of cryoTEM, and to show you how to use this powerful technique, in your own research and in your own laboratory. The workshop is aimed at participants at PHD/post doc level and who are experienced in basic microscopy and who wish to extend their knowledge and practical experience in 2D and/or 3D cryo imaging. The workshop will consist of lectures from experts, but also of extensive practical hands-on sessions.
Highlights of the workshop
- TEM of Soft Matter: Why Cryo-TEM?
- Sample preparation vitrification
- Low dose imaging
- Interpretations of images
- 2D vs 3D: Tomography
- Data acquisition
- 3D reconstruction and visualization
Special 4TU.HTM workshop offer
There is a special workshop offer for 4TU.HTM participants: a grant of max. € 1000,-. This grant will be offered when a participant meets the following requirements:
- Member of the 4TU federation: PhD, PD, (UH)D/graduation student;
- Deadline for a request: 15 February 2017 (for approval by 4TU.HTM);
- Supervisor must approve request;
- Number of grants is limited to 7 on a first-come, first-served basis;
- Fee for workshop (1750 euro) must be paid before 1 February 2017;
- After attending the workshop a copy of the workshop certificate accompanied with a grant request form must be sent to the contact person of 4TU.HTM.
- The grant will be awarded after the workshop;
- For more information, please mail the contact person of 4TU.HTM or CMEM.