M2i & 4TU.HTM Business Awareness Course
The business awareness course of M2i and 4TU.HTM prepares PhD students and Post-doctoral researchers in the later stages of their projects on their future career in industry or academia.
PhD students and Post-doctoral researchers often concentrate on science. Successful innovation requires attention to business aspects as well. Why do companies and universities collaborate? How do companies organize their in-house innovation? How to get support for a break-through scientific idea? How about costs and benefits? The Business Awareness Course creates awareness for the business aspects of research and innovation, which will help the participants to become effective in R&D, both at universities and in industry. We will address working in an industrial innovation environment and explain how industrial-academic collaborations are organized. Visits to the Holst Centre and Signify will showcase how innovation is organized at research institutes and in companies. The course will include a workshop on collaborating in a consortium of stakeholders with different interests, and exercises on preparation of a research proposal, including business aspects.
How to act in an industrial innovation environment?
During this course you will:
- learn about public private partnerships;
- learn how to participate in an open innovation project;
- get to know how big and small companies in the Netherlands cope with innovation;
- learn about the cultural and social aspects of working in multicultural groups;
- visit two highly innovative companies;
- get to know the challenges related to circular economy;
- work in groups on your own business case.
There will also be plenty of room in the programme for social interaction.