Project introduction and background information
With this project we want to achieve lecturers having identified, exchanged and implement didactical approaches that evoke and strengthen intrinsic motivation of bachelor students.
1) Combining expert knowledge of ESD-staff (Linda Luchtman and/or Ellen Torfs) and experiential knowledge of lecturers of BIN-courses on didactical approaches that can evoke and strengthen intrinsic motivation.
2) Organizing three activities:
- Activity 1: organizing a kick off workshop on “CAR” (with ESD-staff and lecturers of bachelor courses) in which:
- ESD-staff present scientific research and examples on Competence, Autonomy and Relatedness (CAR) that are considered as three key elements of didactical approaches that evoke and strengthen intrinsic motivation;
- Lecturers of bachelor courses present practices that can evoke and strengthen intrinsic motivation;
- Lectures use the insights from ESD-staff and experiences of colleagues to identify concrete didactical steps on how to stimulate an active study attitude of bachelor students.
- Activity 2: within 4 weeks after the workshop, lectures (the coordinator of the course) can apply for “fuel money” to prepare and organize an adaptation of the didactical approach of a bachelor course.
- Activity 3: organizing a “didtheCARmoveworkshop” (with lecturers and a selection of students of bachelor courses) in which:
- lecturers share how they have used insights and ideas from the workshop to adapt their didactical approach in a course
- selection of students give feedback on the way and extent to which they experienced that the course has stimulated an active study attitude
3) Start and continuation:
The following organization and sequencing of activities are proposed:
First series: organizing activities with the lecturers of B1, B2 and B3 courses (that are given in period 1, 2 or 3)
- Activity1 in April-May 2017.
- Activity2 in June 2017. Implementing of concrete plans at course level Sept 2017 to January 2018
- Activity3: Evaluation in March 2018.
Second series: organizing activities with the lecturers of B1 and B2 courses (that are given in period 4, 5 and 6)
- Activity1 in April-May 2018
- Activity2 in June 2018. Implementing of concrete plans at course level February 2018 to July 2019.
- Activity3: Evaluation in September 2019.
Objective and expected outcomes
To stimulate an active study attitude of bachelor students by evoking and strengthening intrinsic motivation of bachelor students.
Results and learnings
The plan can stimulate an active study attitude of bachelor students by evoking and strengthening their intrinsic motivation, starting with the first year of the bachelor.