4TU.Design United (4TU.DU) aims to connect and enable design researchers of the four universities of technology and to table design research of the 4TU in a broader national and international context.
The probes funding is a means to create communities of 4TU researchers around contemporary design-research themes. With the grant, we want to enable researchers to make the first steps toward acquiring joint projects. The results of the probes should strengthen Design United's presence at the Dutch Design Week in the form of a prototype in the exhibit, a workshop, or some other form at the Transitions afternoons.
Who can apply
Design Researchers from 4TU universities. In principle, proposals should include scientific staff members from at least three 4TU universities. If that is not possible, it should be motivated. Proposals with applicants outside the 4TU universities are allowed if the above conditions adhere.
What do we fund
We fund projects up to 4000 Euro; and we plan to fund 3 to 5 projects in 2023. Funding can be used for activities, services, materials, or equipment. Direct personnel costs will not be funded. Applications can be rewarded partially. If the number of proposals exceeds the budget available, the proposals will be assessed on relevance and equal opportunity.
What is required
To apply for funding, submit a proposal that includes the three items mentioned below. The page limit is two DIN A4. References (if you have) do not count towards the two page limit.
- Motivation. Describe 1) the goal of the funding, 2) how it connects to the research themes of Design United, and 3) its outcomes will be presented.
- Applicants: State: title and name, position, affiliation (section/department & university) and email of all applicants.
- Detailed Activity Overview (1) , Timeline (2), and Budget (3).
Criteria for assessment
- direct connection to Design United research themes.
- feasibility of the proposal.
- potential future work (e.g. larger funding applications).
- impact of the proposal.
- Proposals should be sent to Daniel Saakes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Proposals are reviewed by the board of directors of Design United twice a year, in January and April.
- Next Submission date: April 21 2023(just before the CHI conference).
- Notification of acceptance. Before June 1.
Questions, remarks or inquiries send to Daniel Saakes (email@example.com).