Designing products and services for healthcare
Richard Goossens, Professor Physical Ergonomics, IDE, TU Delft
Armagan Albayrak, Assistant Professor Design for Healthcare, IDE, TU Delft
More and more healthcare organisations are discovering the added value of design to address the many challenges they face. When designing for this complex domain, designers need to master the use of dedicated tools and techniques in order to fully grasp the needs and requirements of the stakeholders: patients, medical professionals, policy makers, and insurance companies.
In this Master Class on Design for Healthcare, you get acquainted with the latest developments in healthcare design. You learn about and work on topics like patient profiling, patient experience journeys, and user involvement in your medical design process. Recent research projects and industry partnerships are presented.
The healthcare research programme of Industrial Design Engineering is closely connected to the master specialisation Medisign.
During this Master Class, you will:
- gain insights in the healthcare design context to improve your healthcare design projects;
- broaden your toolset for exploring and collecting the needs and experiences of patients and medical professionals;
- practice using tools and techniques for mapping and analysing multi-stakeholder systems and processes in healthcare.
- Design driven innovations in Healthcare; establish and use the innovation triangle in partnerships and consortia
- Patient profiling: classifying patients based on coping behaviour, health behaviour models, tailoring design based on patient profiles
- Patient experience journeys and care logistics; mapping user experiences and work processes in Healthcare, defining touchpoints between stakeholders and starting points for design
- User involvement in medical design: involving (busy) medical professionals and (vulnerable) patients in your design process
- Many examples from practice
Programme Day 1
9.00 - 9.30 Registration
9.30 - 13.00 Design driven innovations in Healthcare
13.00 - 14.00 Lunch
14.00 - 17.30 Design for user experience in Healthcare: patient experience journeys, care logistics and patient profiling
Programme Day 2
9.30 - 13.00 Capita Selecta: presentations of IDE alumni in Healthcare
13.00 - 14.00 Lunch
14.00 - 17.00 Tools and techniques for user involvement in medical design
17.00 - 17.30 Wrap-up
Handouts of all lectures will be provided with space for personal notes.
How to prepare?
This masterclass requires no specific preparation, but we invite you to prepare one or two slides to introduce yourself to the group.
After the course Two months after the course, a pre-set consultation timeslot will be offered to all participants to share experiences and ask questions to the IDE Master Class. The format and the timing will be discussed with the participants during the IDE Master Class.
Richard Goossens is full Professor of Physical Ergonomics at IDE, TU Delft. He is coordinator of the Healthcare research programme at IDE and member of the board of the Delft Health Initiative.
Armaĝan Albayrak is Assistant Professor Design for Healthcare at IDE, TU Delft. Her responsibilities include both research and teaching in the field of design for healthcare, integrated product design, ergonomics, biomechanics and user research.