CLASS is a software package and a book that enable BSc and MSc students to learn the fundamental concepts of the atmospheric boundary layer and the intercations with land and chemistry. In one of the courses (MAQ51306), I have changed completely the set up and now it is entirely based on the concept of “flipped the classroom”. As far as I could judge, I am still waiting for the EvaSys evaluation, the students were very satisfied with the learning outcome of the course. In the other courses, the clips have helped to use the CLASS software in a better manner and promote that the students are working more active and independent.
- Put in practice fundamental concepts of the land-atmosphere interactions
- Supporting the interpretation of observations: wind, temperature, humidity and atmospheric constituents(including carbon dioxide)
- Conceptual tool to improve explanation of land-interaction in research papers
- Flipping the classroom support of Class: Chemistry Land-surface Atmosphere Soil Slab model.
- The students learn by doing and discussing systematic numerical experiments.
- Multi-disciplinary: atmospheric boundary layer dynamics, chemistry and surface processes, included in complete website package.
I will advise to discuss with other colleagues (in particular if they are close to their fields) on their experiences in making the clips.The support given by Han Smolenaars and his team (4 short meetings) was also very valuable in making our choices and the final decisions on the clip design, format and final editing.
CLIPS: 19 knowledge and instruction clips were made The intensive use of the clips in 5 courses at BSc and MSc level. In addition the clips are employed in international PhD courses (Innsbruck and Barcelona Universities) and they have helped PhD and post-doc researchers in their investigation.