Are you eager to work on the empowerment of the students of today to create the world of tomorrow?
Position: (Post-doctoral) Researcher
Irène Curie Fellowship: No
Department(s): Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences
Date off: 31/01/2023
Reference number: V39.6187
We are offering a Postdoc position on the project which focuses on the role of technical universities, TU/e in particular, as change agents for sustainability transitions. A successful applicant will perform this action research project in line with the activities of the university sustainability ambassador, Dr Anna Wieczorek. The specific tasks of the Postdoc candidate include research into the tools that are necessary to integrate and evaluate sustainability in engineering education at TU/e, testing the tools in TU/e innovation Space, and initiating a debate about transformative engineering education for sustainability at TU/e and beyond. The candidate will report the research findings at international conferences and in scientific journals. Given the very practical dimension of this project, the research findings will be applied in practical environment of the TU/e and also disseminated via non-academic channels. A small teaching load is part of the job description.
The Postdoc position is embedded in the Technology, Innovation & Society (TIS) group. The TIS group is part of the School of Innovation Sciences, one of the two schools of the Department of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences (IE&IS). Research at TIS concerns how humans and societies bring about technological change, and how technological innovations change society. Researchers in the TIS group study these processes in a systemic, transdisciplinary, and transnational perspective. The research focus of TIS covers both short-term processes (innovations) and long-term, fundamental processes (transitions), and addresses multiple aspects of the innovation journey – invention, innovation, diffusion, appropriation, governance, policy intervention along with local and global impacts on society. Many of the TIS research projects are strongly embedded in practical environments and involve co-creation and an action research approach.
The Postdoc will closely collaborate with the TU/e innovation Space, which is center of expertise for Challenge-Based Learning and student entrepreneurship at TU/e, a learning hub for education innovation and an open community where students, researchers, industry, and societal organizations can exchange knowledge and develop responsible solutions to real-world challenges.
- PhD degree in sustainable innovation, sustainability transitions, or equivalent.
- Affinity with teaching and education innovation in higher education
- Knowledge of and eagerness to engage with participatory, action oriented or transdisciplinary approaches to research.
- Experience with university sustainability initiatives.
- Experience with participatory sustainability assessment methods.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and proficiency in English, Dutch is a pro.
- Strong methodological skills and proven experience with mixed methods designs.
- Enthusiasm, self-reliance, strong organizational skills, scientific mindedness.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for 2 years.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10 (min. €2.960 max. €4.670).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact the hiring manager dr. Wieczorek, A.J.Wieczorek[at]tue.nl.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact Kim Spinder- van Puijenbroek, HR Advisor, pz.ieis[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application using the apply-button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- A 1500-word research proposal that outlines how you would approach this topic and ideas for conducting the research.
- A sample research document written by you: a relevant paper, or a PhD thesis.
- Results of a recent English language test, or other evidence of your English language capabilities.
The deadline to apply is 31 January 2023. However, candidates are invited to apply as soon as possible. The intended starting date for this position is February, 2023 but will be filled in earlier if a suitable candidate is found. The interviews will be held in the week of 6 February 2023. We do not accept applications sent by e-mail or incomplete ones. The position will be filled earlier if a suitable candidate has been found.